- When: Friday, September 19, 7 pm.
- Where: Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, 425 Water Street, Portsmouth
Hope Celebrity Casino Night
- When: Saturday, September 20, 7 pm
- Where: Nauticus - USS Wisconsin, 1 Waterside Drive, Norfolk
Hope Celebrity Golf Classic
- When: Sunday, September 21, 8 am
- Where: Cahoon Plantation, 1501, Cahoon Parkway, Chesapeake
Hope Jazz Concert
- When: Sunday, September 21, 7 pm
- Where: Chrysler Hall, 215 Saint Paul's Boulevard, Norfolk
For more information: stillhope2014.org
Fall Gardening Festival: "The Ups and Downs of Gardening"
This year's Fall Gardening festival theme is vertical gardening. Speakers will offer advice for vertical flower and vegetable gardening and visitors can learn how to layer bulbs, compost, and plant window boxes among other activities in demonstration alleys.
When: Saturday, September 20, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Where: Hampton Roads Agricultural Research and Extension Center, 1444 Diamond Springs Road, Virginia Beach
63rd Annual Chickahominy Indian Tribe Fall Festival & Pow-Wow
When: September 27th & 28th, 2014
Where: Chickahominy Tribal Grounds
Gates open Saturday 10am-6pm, Grand Entry @ noon
Gates open Sunday 11am-6pm, Grand Entry @ 1pm
For More Information Contact: www.Chickahominytribe.org, (804) 829-2027 or (804) 557-3775
Labor and My Baby (LAMB) Workshop
Workshop to calm your fears and prepare you for the challenges - and delights - of parenthood.
When: Saturday, September 20, 2014
Where: Healthy Families Partnership
100 Old Hampton Lane
For more information and registration: 727-1300, ext. 0
YWCA South Hampton Roads Domestic Violence Awareness Month Campaign Kickoff and Panel Discussion
Panel to be moderated by Chief Judge Tanya Bullock of Virginia Beach's 2nd Judicial District. Business attire requested.
When: Thursday, October 2, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Where: Regent University, Robertson Hall, Moot Court Room, 1000 Regent University Drive, Virginia Beach
For more information: RSVP at (757) 499-9267
Croaker's Spot Restaurant Welcoming Ceremony
The Park Place Business Association, Southeastern Virginia Arts Association, and Park Place Civic League welcome Croaker's Spot restaurant in a ceremony that will include cultural presentations, food, musicians, story telling, and entertainment.
When: Friday, October 3, 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Where: Corner of 35th and Newport Avenue, Norfolk
Old Dominion University Business Gateway's Women's Business Center October Workshops
When: Tuesday, October 7, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Where: Chesapeake Economic Development, 676 Independence Pkwy, Suite 200, Chesapeake
- Learn about eVA, Virginia's online, electronic procurement system.
- For more information: Register at www.evatraining-oct.eventbrite.com.
When: Wednesday, October 8, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Tidewater Community College, Virginia Beach Center, 1700 College Crescent, Virginia Beach
Invoking Art as Business Seminar
- Designed to stimulate creativity while allowing participants to make valuable business connections. The center requests that guests arrive early and bring one work of art for display with applicable easels and display props.
- For more information: Register at www.invokingartasbusiness-oct.eventbrite.com. Advanced registration is required.
When: Thursday, October 23, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Where: Tidewater Community College, Virginia Beach Campus, 1700 College Crescent, Student Center, 3rd Floor, Virginia Beach
Women Doing Business at the Beach
- This half-day workshop will feature sessions on mentoring.
- For more information: Register at www.women-doing-business-at-the-beach.eventbrtie.com
When: Thursday, October 16, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Where: ODU Business Gateway Conference Room, 4111 Monarch Way, Suite 106, Norfolk
WBC Orientation and SBA Website OVerview
- Get introduced to WBC at ODU Business Gateway and discuss available resources to help launch, grow and sustain you business. Learn about the WBC and the numerous resources available for women entrepreneurs, get an overview of ODU Business Gateway Programs and meet center directors.
- For more information: Register at www.wbcorientation-oct2014.eventbrite.com
When: Tuesday, October 28, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Where: ODU Business Gateway Classroom, 4111 Monarch Way, Suite 106, Norfolk
Who's Buying? Business Research Workshop and Tools for Building Your Dream
- Learn how to access industry reports, market research, competitor analysis, company profiles, articles, trade publications, and industry profiles.
- For more information: Register at www.usresearch-oct.eventbrite.com
Guidelines for Interacting with Law Enforcement: A Community Forum for Youth
This workshop will teach participants what procedures to follow if they are stopped by a law enforcement official. Panelists include the Chesapeake Police Department, the Chesapeake Sheriff Department, and the Virginia State police.
When: Saturday, October 18, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Major Hillard Library, 824 Old George Washington Hwy North, Chesapeake
For more information: Dr. Tyrone Davis (757) 409-9044 or Mr. Sam Boone (757) 558-7854
As part of a Hampton Roads tobacco cessation campaign, local teenagers can participate in a poster contest for 12 to 15 year-olds, a television public service announcement competition for 16 to 18 year-olds, and a lyric performance challenge for both age groups. Winners will be featured on a special edition of HealthWatch and at a 757smokefreeteens special event.
When: Sunday, November 16, 3 pm, Deadline to apply: Friday, October 24, 11:59 pm
Where: Tidewater Community College Roper Performing Arts Center, 340 Granby Street, Norfolk
For more information: 757smokefreeteans.com or (757)-683-8836
Francina R. Harrison, "The Career Engineer," hosts TCE Career, Life and Business Summit and Awards Luncheon
Local and national panelists will discuss topics to equip job seekers, small business owners, and career professionals with the 21st century competitive advantage. Featuring two national award-winning speakers: Nikki Woods, Executive Producer of the Tom Joyner Morning Show, and April Woodard, National Journalist, philanthropist, and businesswoman.
When: Saturday, October 11
Where: Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel, 3501 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach
For more information: TCEsummit2014.eventbrite.com
First Annual Eastern Virginia Regional Diversity and Inclusion Conference
Professionals from Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities, Cox Communications, and others will discuss how to learn the best practices to aid progressive growth in organizations.
When: Thursday, October 23
Early registration and group rates are available at www.hrdic.com
Virginia Women's Conference 2014
When: Saturday, November 15, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Where: Old Dominion University, Norfolk
To register, visit the conference website at www.odu.edu/conference/vawomenconf2014
Hearts and Strings
Music Education Program
-Fall Sessions (Begins the week of September 29, 2014 and runs through December 17, 2014)
-Winter/Spring Sessions (Begins the week of January 5, 2015 and runs through June 4, 2015)
Classes meet Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
WHERE: Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center of Hampton Roads
AND: Transportation TO the center will be provided. Parents/guardians are responsible for picking up their students at 6:30 p.m. on the days the classes are held.
(The cost of the HeartStrings Program may be covered through Kroc Center Scholarship. Please contact the Kroc Center for information regarding scholarships at 622-KROC).
(Additional information concerning the HeartStrings Program will be provided at the orientation sessions and throughout the term of the Program.)
Red Cross Call For Blood and Platelet Donations
When: On going.
Where: Various locations.
For More Information (and Appointments): Call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org.